July 2020 — Sun in Los Angeles
|29||6:02 am ↑||12:59 pm|
|30||6:03 am ↑||12:59 pm|
|31||6:04 am ↑||12:59 pm|
Southern California, California, USA — Sunrise, Sunset, and Daylength, December 2020
|Current Time :||Dec 30, 2020 at 8:41:50 am|
|Sun Distance:||91.401 million mi|
|Next Equinox:||Mar 20, 2021 2:37 am (Vernal)|
|Sunrise Today:||6:54 am↑ 118° Southeast|
|Sunset Today:||4:46 pm↑ 242° Southwest|
There is an average of 3348 hours of sunlight per year (of a possible 4383) with an average of 9:09 of sunlight per day. It is sunny 76.4% of daylight hours . The remaining 23.6% of daylight hours are likely cloudy or with shade, haze or low sun intensity.
But just how much time do we have until the light goes out? The sun is about 4.6 billion years old and it will burn for another 5 billion years . That means we are about halfway through its adult phase. But sadly, our time on Earth will come to an end way before those five billion years run out.
Dates are based on the Gregorian calendar. June Solstice ( Summer Solstice ) is on Sunday, June 20, 2021 at 8:32 pm in San Francisco. In terms of daylight, this day is 5 hours, 14 minutes longer than on December Solstice. In most locations north of Equator, the longest day of the year is around this date.
The winter solstice marks the shortest day of the year in terms of hours of daylight. The 2020 winter solstice was officially at 5:02 a.m. ET/2:02 a.m. PT on Monday, Dec. 21 , marking the official start of the astronomical winter and the shortest day of the year for the Northern Hemisphere.
Roughly speaking, the golden hour is the first hour of light after sunrise and the last hour of light before sunset. So, there are actually two golden hours every day. However, this is just an approximation. Depending on the season and your location the golden hour might be a lot shorter or longer.
16:54 – 17:30
Astronomical dawn begins when the sun is 18 degrees below the horizon in the morning. It is “first light”. Astronomical twilight follows instantly until the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon. At this point a very small portion of the sun’s rays illuminate the sky and the fainter stars begin to disappear.
Sunrise, Sunset Times Tomorrow
|Morning Golden Hour||08:10||09:07|
|Evening Golden Hour||14:54||15:51|
One of my favorite sunrise locations in Southern California is Leo Carrillo Beach which is North of Malibu. Most of the Malibu coastline faces directly South, from Will Rogers over to Point Dume, but there are sections of Malibu and Leo Carrillo that face directly East.
After 2 billion years , increased energy output from the Sun will boil Earth’s oceans, but the planet itself will survive.
For about a billion years, the sun will burn as a red giant. Then, the hydrogen in that outer core will deplete, leaving an abundance of helium. Astronomers estimate that the sun has about 7 billion to 8 billion years left before it sputters out and dies.